Thursday, December 10, 2015

Patience and Provision

    One thing I have been learning about God recently is that He is very patient.  He is not afraid to wait, months, years, or even longer for people to learn more about Him and to turn to Him.  He is not a rushed and coercive God.  He is gentle, patient, kind, good, caring, and faithful God.  He does not desire to bring punishment and wrath.  Because He is a just God and keeps His promises He will eventually bring the consequences for sin.  But He gives us a chance to turn from it.  He gives us opportunity to learn.  He brings opportunity after opportunity for us to grow. 
    On the flip side, I have come to realize my strong tendency towards impatience.  Many times I feel frustrated if something doesn't happen in a time-frame that I consider reasonable.  However, who am I to say that the "timing is right."  I'm a finite person who can only see things from one human perspective.  God sees things from the perspective of eternity.  He has all knowledge.  He knows everything.  He has a complete understanding of how all our decisions will affect our lives.  He knows what is going to happen and when the best timing for things are.  So, my role is to be faithful and to learn to wait with hope in Him.  He will bring things to pass, when it is best. 
   The other thing I am learning is about God's provision.  In each small step of "faith" that being here has required, I have found that God provides the strength needed to face challenges, to build relationships, and to do things that I never dreamed I would be called upon to do.  God is here.  He is right here.  I never needed to be worried or to wonder if He would provide.  As I learn to walk with Him, I find He gives me strength to follow Him -- even in the midst of things I use to consider "impossible."  I used to say, "I am not cut out for that.  That's not my gifting or talent to be apart of this.  I'm not "good at" that.  Yet, when I step into things that I would not have wanted to do, but am asked to do, He provides what I need."  This does not mean that we should be presumptuous and just assume that anything we think would be good to do, God will provide the strength to do it.  Instead, when He sovereignly opens up an opportunity or when we are put into situations where we must do a thing to honor Him -- He will be with us in it.  Sometimes He teaches us by letting us experience hardship and growth in it.  Sometimes He empowers us by helping us do things we didn't think we were capable of.  Sometimes, He simply walks with us through it, providing day by day what we need to be obedient to Him in a particular circumstance.  Whatever it is, in each instance, I'm encouraged to recognize how God provided.  He is a good Provider who knows exactly what we need. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home