Saturday, November 1, 2014

Waiting and musical connections

    This week brought several moments to practice patience.  On Tuesday I took the hour and half 8:20am bus to the capitol to pick up my ID Card.  (After 6+ weeks of getting paperwork together and submitted, it was finally ready!).  After waiting my turn in line, they gave me my card and I left.  After examining the card I realized there was a mistake.  They had listed my nationality as "Bel" (Belgian).  Although I was born in Belgium, while my parents were studying French, I am an American.  All the documents I submitted clearly stated that I am American.  Well, I was not sure what I should do right then (the whole process can be difficult and I wanted to make sure I took the right steps).  I was almost late for a meeting.  So, I hurried off to meet a friend at a coffee shop.
    After my meeting, I took the bus back to Peje.  I decided that I should ask my team leaders what to do about the ID card mistake.  They were in flight to America, so I could not just call them.  I emailed them and also consulted my language teacher.  I realized the best thing to do would be to just bring it back and show them the mistake.  I went back on Thursday.  Unfortunately, after waiting in line at the office, the ID Card office said that their system was down and they could not do anything about it right now.  They took down my phone number and said they would contact me.  They did not call while I was in the capitol but I received an email the next day, saying that I needed to go back to their office.  So next week the adventure will continue.
    A second lesson in waiting came as I tried to get my TV working in my apartment. Many people say that watching TV in the language you are trying to learn really helps.  So, this month I decided to pay 5 Euros to get TV at my apartment.  After paying last week, I noticed that the TV was not picking up channels.  After 4 trips to the office, a tech visiting my apartment, and a new box (free of charge) I am finally able to get channels.  This process stretched my language abilities as I talked to the office workers, the tech, and tried to give directions in Albanian on the phone.  Through my broken Albanian and their limited English, the problem was resolved and I got to pick up some new Albanian words along the way.   Now I can watch movies in Albanian and hear the news in Albanian.   It will be a great way to enhance my studies here.
    On another note, there are a few new things that I have started recently.  Last Saturday night I attended the music practice for the small fellowship where I attend on Sunday mornings.  On Sunday morning I played violin with the pra/se band.  It was such a blessing to join with them.  This gives another opportunity to hear Albanian music and to practice conversation with the other musicians.  Then, this Thursday I started teaching violin to an MK here.  I gave her a few informal lessons in 2013 when I was here.  When I got back here, they asked if I would be interested/able to teach again.  It took a while to get a string (from the states) for her violin and some music for her to play.  Last Thursday was her first lesson.  It went well and I am excited to be able to teach.  We are planning to do a month of lessons and see how it goes.  I am thankful for the many wonderful opportunities that music brings here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home