Saturday, November 22, 2014

Joy after Trials

This week I have been reflecting on the many blessings that God has brought during my time here so far.  When I first arrived here, I was hit with some very difficult news of my dad's cancer.  My perspective on life, my family, and the cost of being here suddenly took on new meaning.  For the next four months many questions and thoughts about my dad were an almost constant companion.  It was so difficult to hear that he was having to walk through 3 months of chemo, then a major surgery with uncertain outcomes, and now a challenging recovery.  During the first two months here there were many moments when I seriously considered finding a way to return to be with my family.  My family means a lot to me and when they are suffering, a huge part of my heart also hurts with them.  Yet, in the midst of the pain and uncertainty, God provided.  God gave me some understanding teammates and other workers here.  He provided opportunities to skype with my parents.  He provided time and space to ask the hard questions and wrestle with uncertainty.  He also provided many things I needed in order to settle into language classes and study.  In the middle of those first few month, I had a hard time imagining that anything good could come from staying here.  My heart and mind were so flooded with questions about my dad and what could happen if anything happened to him.  Yet, I knew that I must be faithful to God and just trust.  Step by step, as I began to settle in and just take things a day at a time, God, in his own quiet way provided.  He gave me many blessings that I did not expect.
    In addition to providing the energy and motivation to work hard on language studies, He provided several opportunities to use the musical talent that He gave me.  Part of my language study involves learning Albanian praise songs.  This has opened opportunities to lead songs at a weekly girl's group that Pam leads and at a Sunday night fellowship that Keith leads.  A month ago I started teaching a young MK how to play the violin.  Also, about a month ago, I began playing violin at a small local fellowship on Sunday mornings.  This not only is a joy to play with them but also gives me opportunities to hear how the songs are led by native speakers.
    Last weekend, I attended an event with the local climbing club and learned about many great climbing and hiking groups in this region.  As I consider the next year and half here, I am excited to consider the opportunities that outdoor activities may bring to connect with people here.
   God is also providing people to work with.  Another couple is planning to join us in the work here in February.  In addition to this, another family is seriously considering joining us.  For three weeks this January, seven master's students from Biola are coming to provide some English lessons and activities for college-aged students.  It will be a great way to connect with some more of the local college students here.
    As I reflect on these last few months I remember where I have been and what God has done.  I stand amazed at how He brings joy from tears and hope from times of hardship.  As we persevere and follow Him, we never know what He will do and what He has in store.  It may be that in the midst of a trial, we cannot imagine anything good.  We may think life will always be difficult.  We may not have much "hope" but God calls us to simply trust Him and keep walking.  It will probably not be easy.  It usually is not but He is faithful.  He will hold our hand through it and bring us through the trials.  I praise Him for his amazing grace to me and am so grateful for his enduring love, even when all else in me wanted to run, He held my hand and enabled me to keep going.  He is amazing.

2 Comments:

At November 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM , Blogger Keith said...

Lydia, thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights into what God is doing in your life.
You are truly a blessing to me and to others.
Keep trusting!
Love you, sister!!
Pam

 
At November 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Lydia said...

Thank you Pam. Glad you enjoy reading it.
Love you too!

--Lydia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home