KW10 - In the city
Gd provided time to spend with people in Peja this week. He also provided time to recover from a very busy week of camp. It was a blessing to visit two young ladies. At the center, I also got to help teach cooking, share songs and guitar, and help with a 'movie night' event.
This summer I have reflected on the way Gd works. My observations from two summers of min here helped form some ideas about how Gd works. One dear m couple here has been here for over 9 years. They have many relationships and shared the good news with families through visits, camp, and a min center. Though the good news has been shared several times. Many have yet to make a decision about JC. It is hard to understand the why it takes so long to see a harvest. It has been tough for me to process. Why would there be so much labor given with few 'visible' results? As I 'deep thinker' this really bothered me. It seemed that Gd was being unjust. The workers were laboring hard and doing all that they knew to do. Yet the work depends on Gd changing people's hearts. So why wasn't He working? I know that we cannot blame Gd. He is infinite and He is just. His actions are always good. Yet in my finite understanding, I found myself responding with confusion and even anger last month. How could Gd seem so apathetic to the people here? Why wasn't He touching their hearts and bringing them to Himself?
A dear sister of mine heard my questions as I poured out my thoughts. She said that a lot of laborers here have asked the same thing and have to deal with that question. There is not an easy answer. My questions were not answered that night but it deepened my search to know Gd more.
This month I've had more time to reflect on it. Gd's plans are above and beyond ours. He works outside the confines of time, space, and history. He see's the big picture. We know through His Word that He is not unjust. He is working out His plans and He does indeed answer all who call on His name.
I see the quiet and patient work of the long-term couple here. Many seeds have been scattered. Their strategy has been molded and shaped over time. This summer I saw more of their vision for min here. Many pieces are currently being put into place for the future harvest whenever Gd brings it. Even though I do not think Gd is leading me to pursue long-term here right now, I am encouraged to see so many steps being taken to carefully prepare for the future here.
The couple here has had several fruitful summers of min at camp. At camp several people came to JC. This couple graciously hosted the groups that brought those who made decisions. Now, this couple has started to turn their focus to local min in this small city. Gd provided a center where people can meet. Now this couple is looking for Gd to raise up more workers who will partner with them in this work. Personally I think a key component needed here is a man with a shepherd's gifting and heart. Someone who would learn the language well. Someone who is willing to focus specifically on consistent discipleship here in the city. Someone who can devote himself to the work and lead these efforts. Without this the min struggles here. This one couple can only devote their time to a certain number of things and their hands are full. Gd is using them and I have been encouraged to see the many ways He's working. Yet, the min vision is beyond their ability. I do not want to imply that Gd is limited. He can use anyone in any situation to accomplish His plan. Yet, I think it is wise to discern the vision and strategy here. The team needs to grow if the vision of starting a fellowship will become a reality. Without a worker to focus and lead consistent discipleship here, the efforts remain spread out and limited. This dear couple will continue to labor here. They are preparing the soil and are setting up the framework for a team. I bel/eve Gd will raise up that team soon and look forward to one day seeing the harvest come in here.
I write these things as personal reflection to try to glean lessons from it. This summer I gleaned many lessons about long-term min. I learned more about how to invest in future min at ch/rch or wherever Gd leads. My investment back in the states will be done with greater clarity. Personally I realize I must become more intentional. I think Gd is asking me to be more courageous. I realize that planting seeds does not usually just 'happen' out of nowhere. When we plant seeds of truth, we can do it with purpose and pr/yer. I want to be a part of Gd's work and be a laborer in His field wherever I go. So, I am considering how I relate to people. Min is more than just time. Min is more than just doing things with people. Min calls for courage and for thoughtfulness. It call for us to share our heart with people, even if at first they don't understand. We must share how the truth is changing us.
Min is partnership. It means working with people who have different perspectives and different gifts. It means taking the time to talk and learn how to work together. It is not a 'lone ranger' pursuit. It involves others in Gd's family.
Min is messy at times. It is not a 'title' or ch/rch program. It's a way to live. It's lived out wherever a person is. It is knowing when to speak and when to be quiet. It is challenging an idea. It is giving a warm meal to someone and opening your home. It is opening our hearts, when it would be easier to just be apathetic. It is opening our lives to people. We must open our lives so they won't just see some squeaky clean 'image' of what a Chr/stian 'should be.' Instead they must see a real person with real struggles whose life has been changed -- and is still being changed -- by Gd's grace and truth.
Sharing the good news does not mean that the laborers have it 'all together.' In fact sometimes all they have is a simple message to share. It is done in the context of the simple life that they are living. The laborers are not usually 'dynamic' speakers with such charisma that everyone hangs on their every word. Many times the laborers are hardly noticed in a crowd. They may be soft-spoken. They may be a bit scared but they are willing. They may stumble over their words at times. They may not have the highest education or best paying job, but they are the ones asking Gd to use them. They are willing to spend time with people in need. They are willing to share the life Gd has given to them. They invest in people beyond their small 'circle of friends.' They are patient even with those who 'drive them crazy' at times. Gd forms within them compassion and a heart that will look beyond the insults and discomfort of stepping out. They look beyond the superficial and see a heart that needs to hear of Gd's love. They are willing to step out and willing to take the risk of showing love and speaking truth. These things I have seen lived out in front of me here. I am grateful for people who have shown me examples of how to love and share with others.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home