Thursday, June 9, 2011

First two days. . .

Picture from our porch -- a beautiful mountain backdrop


Looking into the kitchen from the porch

Jenelle and I share a bedroom.  It's great she has an extra bunk bed for interns :o)

Keeping candles around are handy, in case the power goes out :o)

It's the second day of being here.  I am thankful for a few days to "get oriented" before we head up to camp.  Jenelle has been so kind and helpful in helping me adjust to life here. Today we went to run some errands in town.  Then we ate lunch with three other workers at a little restaurant.  We had some good chicken pitas with lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes.  It was very tasty!  While we were out a young lady came by and greeted two of the ladies in our group.  Since they were good friends they greeted in the traditional way -- kissing/touching each cheek both sides twice while verbally greeting each other.  After she greeted her friends, she shook hands and said hello to the other three of us.  It's interesting to watch and observe culture.  It's cool to see how much people and relationships are valued.
It's been a blessing to have studied a few words before I got here.  I've already started using a few words -- like "Faleminderit"  (Thank you!) and "Factura" (Receipt) and "Si jeni?"  (How are you?).  I'm trying to remember to use the word: "Mire di ta" (general greeting for "Hello"). 

4 Comments:

At June 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow, Lydia, it does look pretty there! I hope this week goes well and that you enjoy seeing the camp for the first time this weekend! I'm excited to be standing with you this summer. : )

 
At June 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Anna Naomi said...

So glad you're there safely! Thanks for posting pictures. The scenery looks beautiful!

 
At June 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Lydia said...

Thank you Jeanne! It's great to finally start up at camp! It was a great first day -- getting a tour, helping out, and meeting the first group!
Thank you so much for standing with me. I know that He hears everything and is answering :o)

 
At June 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Lydia said...

Hey Anna!
You're welcome! It's fun to share what's going on. Hope that your first rehearsals went well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home