 |
Riding the Kombi
|
This week was my first full week of "normal" activities here. On Sunday I went to two fellowship services -- one in the morning and one in the evening. Monday morning early, I set out to ride the Kombi to camp. It picked me up around 7:05am and around 7:45 I got off at our dirt road turn-off and hiked the rest of the way up to camp. It was about a mile along a road and steep trail.
 |
Crossing a stream along the dirt road leading up to camp
|
 |
Crossing a bridge to follow the trail
|
 |
Part of the trail up
|
 |
Back onto the road with beautiful mountain views!
|
 |
Passing the spring water where we get drinking water for camp
|
At camp, I was soon welcomed by 24 Albanian children. They quickly included me in their volleyball games, activities, song and lesson times, and meals. They were so sweet. Throughout the next few days a few of them would sit down with me and do their best to teach me the Albanian words for everything in sight. We would practice words and hang out together. After Keith showed me where we gather wood for fires, he sent me and the boys up to get another load of wood. Then, I went down with the girls to get drinking water. We played many games of volley ball, Phase 10, Sorry, and frizbee. We sang songs in Albanian and listened to the lessons. It was so cool to see their hearts softened. I helped out in the kitchen, serving food and doing dishes. I also got to lead a team-building activity, which they really liked. By the end of their time, I was sad to say goodbye. I really enjoyed being with them and spending time together.
 |
| Our first group of 24 campers! |
 |
| Washing dishes with one of my new friends! |
 |
All of us before we said goodbye
|
After the campers left on Wednesday morning, we cleaned up some things and had a team meeting. The team leaders had a visitor here from the states so, they went down to Peja that afternoon. Jenelle and I stayed to "watch over" camp for a few days. While we were up at camp, we cleaned and organized a few things and made some plans for a girl's camp that we will be helping lead in July. I also begin to scope out some possible locations for some low ropes elements in the woods above the playing field. We also took about an hour-long hike up above camp to the "plateau," a place we will probably bring campers to sometime in the future.
 |
| Up on the "plateau" |
 |
| Jenelle and Max |
 |
One of the beautiful wild flowers that grows in the mountains
|
On Friday morning Jenelle and I got up and walked down to catch the Kombi back to Peja. After we got back we ran a few errands, cleaned the apartment, and helped prepare for the "girl's group." For girl's group some jr. high/high school girls come from around the area to meet and do activities, hear and discuss a lesson, and enjoy fellowship and a snack together. It will be every Friday afternoon here in Peja. It was cool to meet the girls and help out with it this week.
 |
Girl's group back at Jenelle's apartment
|
Overall, it's been a good week! I've enjoyed settling in here, getting familiar with the area, and some of what happens here. The next two weeks will be "work weeks." We won't have camps. An intern from the states is coming to help out with some construction projects. (From the sounds of things, construction projects involve a lot of heavy, strenuous, concrete work, but we may be installing a shower in the new bathroom area -- so we'll see.) We will also be preparing for a large camp of about 60 campers that comes in July 4th.
2 Comments:
Hey! Lokk so wonderful- it's a great escape for me to see your blog. Hey- this is maybe an awkward place to say it- but I had a job interview for special ed 10th grade English this year! Went really well! Have to apss a test in July to make it official, though :P. So- I am gonna send you an e-mail, ma chere amie- bless you
Oh- and I thought you were saying "Sorry", not meaning you PLAYED the game "Sorry" cuz you played so much Phase 10 :P. mon amie, de ton amie, je t'aime
Hi Marisa!
That's exciting! Yeah, let me know how it goes.
It's good to hear from you! I enjoying hearing any news from across the seas :o)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home